Sunday, February 26, 2012

#5: Enjoy a hotdog from Gray's

I feel like I mention New York quite a lot in my blog. What can I say? As much as I try to be fair to my readers who may not be anywhere near NYC, there are just certain aspects of the city that is very difficult to overlook. Either way, Tip #5 will probably have you on the next flight, train or bus. Destination: New York City.


So, when's the last time you've had a hotdog? A good hotdog? No, no... I mean a good hotdog?
Store front || Courtesy of ronsaari.com

Gray's Papaya is a 24-hour hot dog restaurant which is a chain founded by its former partner Papaya King in 1973. I remember the first time I went to Gray's--I walked in hungry and walked out satisfied. (Laugh as you may, at this cliche, but it's true!) I knew it wouldn't be the last time I returned to that place. Well... unfortunately, I only had a few more opportunities to go to that specific Gray's Papaya on W 37th Street, because before I knew it, it permanently closed down... leaving just two remaining in the entire city.

Between the upper west side (Broadway at 72nd Street) and the West Village further south, I chose the West Village, right on 6th Avenue at 8th Street, to be my personal spot whenever visiting Gray's. Of course, I was still satisfied.

Did I mention it's 24 hours?

From the "Home Run" (with sauerkraut & NY onions) to the "Slaw Dog" (with coleslaw & sweet pickles) or from the "Cheese Dog" (with jalapeno cheese) to the "Original Frankfurter" (my personal favorite with some good ol' ketchup and relish), it's all about quality and you'll leave with your hunger needs met and money still left in your wallet. So, not only does Gray's Papaya satisfy your taste buds, but the hotdogs are inexpensive!

Now, don't think I've forgotten about the vegetarians or anti-meat individuals out there. (This goes to shows you just how important it is to read all the way through!) Gray's Papaya has crinkle cut fries on the menu, which you can choose to order regular or with cheese and also a sandwiches option. The drinks that are served at Gray's Papaya come in a variety of refreshing selections. According to the company description, listed on their Facebook page, the "papaya" in the establishment's name refers to the fruit drinks sold there, which include orange, grape, pina colada, coconut champagne (non-alcoholic), and banana daiquiri (non-alcoholic) in addition to papaya.

What's not to love about Grays?

I suggest you give Gray's Papaya a chance, because it's definitely worth whatever travel you have to make and the mere cash you will have to shell out.

It's open 24 hours. No excuses.

WHY Gray's Papaya?
Why NOT Gray's Papaya? (But if you prefer your own frozen hotdogs in your own kitchen with your own stove, be my guest).

No comments:

Post a Comment