Friday, April 6, 2012

#6: Learn Sign Language

“Just a thought….it is interesting to see that DEAF people can function in the hearing world very well while hearing people cannot function well in the DEAF world." –Gil Eastman (Gallaudet Theatre Art Professor 1934-2006)


Gil Eastman has a point there. (I'm hoping you actually read the quote above. Quotes with meaning are my thing, and I often find them to be a nice opening to an important topic... just saying).

Now that you've fully absorbed the quote, I'll begin again. *ahem*...

Gil Eastman has a point there. Individuals who are deaf often feel forced to adapt to the "hearing world" and are at times looked down upon and viewed as handicapped. "Handicapped" is such a strong term, especially when looked at from the perspective of someone who is deaf and living his/her life with a positive attitude. There are so many opportunities out there for those who are deaf/hearing impaired and even blind/visually impaired. Despite the difficulties in an atmosphere designed for the hearing (and seeing), they are able to "function" graciously... so why can't we try doing the same?

So why not turn off your voice for the night and practice communicating with your hands?

Photo courtesy of cchdwi.org
Sign Language is all about gestures, facial expression and emotion, with the rise and lowering of the eyebrows being important to the full comprehension of a conversation. Speaking with your voice, versus your hands are clearly extremely different. I must say, it is unlike any other language because it's as though a picture of the conversation is being painted in your head.

Youtube is a pretty popular website for looking up millions of different videos by millions of diverse users; so how about searching for some Sign Language lessons? Since I'm in the U.S., I thought it only made sense to start off with American Sign Language (ASL) before branching off to another one of the two hundred [sign languages] around the world! Youtube helped me learn a lot of the basics, and books like "A Basic Course in American Sign Language" allowed me to understand the root meaning of certain gestures. If you need a more hands on approach, utilize the hours of the night doing research and looking up some ASL classes in your area. I plan to look into the Sign Language Center in New York City this summer and see what they have to offer.

Have an infant?
Photo courtesy of culturemap.com


Try learning some Baby Sign Language and teach the simplified words and phrases to your child that is too young to speak! Think about it; both you and your baby will be happy knowing that fussiness and crying won't be the only clue to indicate the need for something. With Baby Sign, you'll know if he/she wants  "milk" or "blanket" or even "Daddy." You'll no longer have to be stressed with guessing games. This seems like the perfect solution, if you ask me.

Now...
I know all about the cochlear implant (Clicking this link will take you to a website that has been widely acclaimed for its unreliable content; But yet, I visit this site almost every day...) and the advancements in technology that are giving the deaf community a chance to hear and speak vocally... but did you know that a majority of those in the deaf community view hearing technology (such as cochlear implants) as a threat to their primary language (ASL)? Many fear that in years to come, Sign Language will become extinct, due to the power of technology.

I am currently taking a Sign Language class at my university and it is definitely my favorite class this semester. I've tried teaching myself some basic signs before, but it feels great learning even more from a professional and developing my phrases and conversation skills. I can finally say, I will have no problem communicating (on a basic level) with my older cousin in Brooklyn who has been deaf since childhood. I've been looking forward to showing her what I know for a while now, and I think I'm ready!

If you know someone who is deaf, impress him or her by incorporating ASL in the discussion. There are many deaf people who can read lips and will simply vocalize their response, but you both will get a lot more out of the conversation if you decide to step inside of their world for a little while.


Why learn Sign Language?
It's fun! American Sign Language (ASL) is a very popular foreign language, but it's unfortunate that many people disregard it as such. The art of communicating with your hands and facial expressions is amazing and the only way you'll fully understand this, is if you try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment