Friday, June 29, 2012

#7: Have a Movie/TV show "marathon"


There's nothing like kicking back and enjoying the heat of the summer. Ok, so maybe the heat can be just a little bit too intense... but that's what air conditioners are for, right? So, the next time you're relaxing in the cool breeze of the AC, consider occupying your lazy days with a marathon of TV shows or movies!

Courtesy of  carseywolf.ucsb.edu


I absolutely love "How I Met Your Mother." That's a fact. However, I started watching it when the world was already six seasons in. My initial intention was to watch the first episode of the first season, solely to figure out why so many people I knew loved the show so much. I honestly didn't plan to go any further than that episode. Next thing I know, I'm all caught up and in anticipation of the 7th season.

Netflix pretty much saved the day (No, it didn't take me a single day to catch up; but you know what I mean!). I'm telling you, have a TV/movie marathon; you'll thank me.

Here's how to begin (Yes, I have steps on how to go about starting a TV/Movie marathon. Relax.)...

Step 1: Make a List
Create a "TV" list and a "Movies" list, with each having its own column on the page. I suggest writing down the top 3 (Top 5 max) TV shows you want to watch. In the Movies column, write down as many films as you want. I say Top 3  for television because you wouldn't want to overwhelm yourself with a plan of watching 20 TV shows that each have an endless number of episodes/seasons! It'll end up being a race and not a time to actually enjoy the shows

Step 2: Divide into genre (Optional)
I did this with my movie marathon. For a while I focused on Romantic Comedies because there were quite a few I hadn't seen before, so I just stuck with that genre, caught up on some new and old (mostly new) and then moved on to something else. Don't underestimate, Wikipedia... the site has super long lists of genres from television and from movies/films.

Maybe it's because I'm too organized for my own good, but I think having a movie marathon based on the genre can be pretty fun, instead of randomly skipping from a comedy to a horror film to a documentary. At least space it out a little bit, if you don't want to stick with the same genre for too long.

Again, this step is optional. If you prefer to mix up the genres one after the other, that's fine too, Spontaneous One.

Step 3: Remember, it's not a race
I call it a "marathon" because it's meant to either catch up on shows/films you haven't seen before or are behind in and OVER A PERIOD OF TIME eventually are 100% caught up.

Breathe. It's not a race to watch everything on your list in the shortest amount of time.


Sites like Netflix and Hulu can be really helpful in your marathon endeavors. (There are other other sites that I've stumbled upon, but let's stick to the legit ones, shall we?) Not only that, but if you're willing to make DVD purchases of the TV shows and films you'd like to see, that's definitely an option as well. Whether it be in-store or from a site like Amazon.

Step 4: There is no step 4; simply begin your TV/Movie marathon

2 comments:

  1. I am a SUPER- fan of Netflix.com. I don't have cable anymore and it's going on 4 years (Yippee)!

    I just turn on my iMac 27 inch, or my Macbook Pro, or my iPad and launch Netflix.com.

    I really don't watch horror or demonic movies but Supernatural have me cracking up! I love to see the bad guys get beat up. I love Murder, She Wrote and I have Nikita at a click of a button.

    Great article! My boss got rid of his cable box and its going on 9 months. He is a member of Hulu. I definitely need to check out Hulu.

    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Netflix is AWESOME; and yes, you should definitely check out what Hulu has to offer.

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete